Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Live Like You Were Dying

He replied, "What is impossible for people is possible with God."
Luke 18:27, New Living Translation
While I was getting my daughter ready for bed, tucking her in, I was saying a prayer of gratitude for the day and for God bringing this child into my life. The song attached to this post came on her radio, albeit quietly, as we like to have good music on in the background to help cover up some of the other ambient noises that come with living on a busy street. Seeing as this song was playing as I was praying in gratitude, it gave me pause to think about what it really means to live like you are dying.

Even as you take the time to read what I've written here, your mortal life is closer to over. You are closer to dying from this mortal life, just by a few moments. We are all dying, at least in the physical mortal sense on this planet. However, that's not something to fear. It's something to find great joy in, for the end of mortality means the beginning of eternity. So, the best thing to remember is that we all have a purpose that our creator designed us for. We all have a reason for being mortally alive - so we should all treat each moment as a last moment before death. Or, at least do our best to do so anyway - I know I'm not great at it sometimes.

What are some of the things that I can do to live this way. Well, the first thing I'm going to do is ask God what I can do in His name. After that, I imagine everything else will continue to fall into place as it has now that I have found faith. A dying person (someone that has a terminal diagnosis) might take time to do things on their "bucket list." It's probably best to decide what's on God's bucket list for your life, and then do those things now. Don't wait. Turn around, and go do them. My kid gives me plenty of opportunities to do mine. Everyone has been given this life to prove their worthy of God's trust. So, let's prove Him right.  Let's do the impossible, made possible by living for God first.  Then just maybe instead of living like we are dying, we will die knowing we had done our best living.

No comments:

Post a Comment