Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Goodbye Facebook

I disabled my Facebook account.  Apparently it takes approximately two weeks for it t o go away completely, but it's already not possible to find me on Facebook, at least from what I can tell anyway.  Facebook has really done two things for me.

1) Invaded my privacy
2) Allowed me to play games with friends (and people Facebook calls friends).

In learning more about what God wants for my life, I've come to a pretty strong conclusion that Facebook actually does not fit into His plan for me.  Sure, it's supposed to be a good way to stay in touch with people.  In all reality, it's turned into more of a single sign-on platform, and less of a rich communication medium, than I would prefer.  Might I go back to Facebook some day.  Maybe - but if I do you can guess I won't be accepting friend requests from anyone other than my closest friends and family.  There's a higher chance that I won't even get back on at all.  Facebook has done a very good job of distracting me from other goals I have, most of which revolve around being a good Christian, none of which Facebook has really progressed.

There is one case where I was a little sad to turn of my Facebook account.  After many years, I reconnected with a childhood friend through Facebook.  Hopefully he'll see this - and know that I don't want our communications to stop just because I'm not on Facebook any more.  I'm not concerned about sharing my e-mail address on this page - so leave me a comment if you need it, and I'll do my best to get in touch with you.

God seems to have inspired me to leave Facebook behind.  I didn't even really hesitate when it came to hitting the deactivate button.  It's something I've been considering for a while, but haven't really followed through on until tonight.

It's going to take a bit of God's strength not to give up and turn my account back on in the next day or two.  I know that I don't need Facebook in my life, but the temptation to run right back to it because it's "easy" is pretty strong.  I guess it's kind of like the dark side of the force.  The quick and easy path... heh.

Hopefully the people I care to stay in touch with the most already know how to do that.  If not, hopefully we can find a way to connect without Facebook.  Time will tell, I suppose.



No comments:

Post a Comment